When an individual suffers from tingling, numbness and pain of the extremities it is usually an indication of a breakdown in the system of the body. Tingling is a skin sensation and numbness and pain is associated with the decay or diseased nerves.
Neuropathies of the peripheral nerves are disorders that affect the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord; more specifically the spinal nerves and vagal nerve which include sensory, motor and autonomic fibers. Some of the following symptoms are indicators that the peripheral nervous system has been compromised:
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness and tingling in limbs
- Burning pain in limbs
- Weight loss
- Gastro-intestinal issues
- Heat intolerance
There are many different causes that may bring on the symptoms of tingling and pain in the extremities. Chiropractors are trained to identify the cause or root of the problem and address the cause to minimize or eliminate the symptoms. Since the nerves are involved in many of the symptoms that are associated with tingling and pain in hands and feet, the chiropractor can access the areas of involved and provide spinal manipulations.
Spinal manipulations or adjustments are specific and are used to correct misalignments of the spine called vertebral subluxations. These misalignments or subluxations impinge on spinal nerves that will result in symptoms typical to the ones mentioned above.
There are also multiple disorders that can create symptoms of tingling and pain in the hands and feet, some are listed below:
- Disorders of the cervical (neck) spine such as cervical disc syndrome can result from automobile accidents or other hyper-extension injuries which will herniate the disc of the cervical spine. The herniation presses on the nerves of the cervical spine which will create the pain, numbness and tingling of the neck, shoulders, arms and down to the fingers.
- Cervical spodylosis is another cervical spine disorder that can create pain and tingling to the hands and fingers. This is an age-related deformation of the cervical spine. The deformed vertebra or discs can press upon the spinal cord or nerves and create the symptoms described above.
- Brachial plexuses disorders
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Broken arm, wrist, hand or fingers
Numbness, tingling or pain felt in the lower extremities can also be a result of a number of misalignments or disorders and some are listed below:
- Herniated discs will place pressure on the lumbar spinal nerves created pain and tingling down the leg, feet and toes.
- Spinal stenosis – a narrowing of the spinal canal, which can be genetic but normally due to age
- Spondylolisthesis – a slippage of a vertebra and the spine above it. This disorder can be congenital or due to injury, trauma or age related degeneration.
- Broken or fractured leg, foot or toe
- Multiple sclerosis
There are many different treatments suggested for the symptoms mentioned above such a surgery, prescribed and over the counter medications. As discussed above chiropractors will determine the cause and treat the conditions appropriately.